[Events] Lero Invited Speaker - Pete Sawyer, Tacit Knowledge in Requirements, Wednesday 6th January 2010 / 11-12pm / LRG032

Katherine.Martin Katherine.Martin at lero.ie
Mon Dec 21 15:55:41 GMT 2009

  _____

image001.jpg

"Tacit Knowledge in Requirements"

Invited speaker:

Pete Sawyer

Wednesday 6th January 2010 / 11-12pm / LRG032

ABSTRACT

In Requirements Engineering, we know that we cannot make everything
explicit. We need to assume that sufficient shared understanding exists
among the stakeholders, the analysts and the developers to obviate the
need for complete, explicit descriptions of all the requirements and
their context. However, problems occur when this shared understanding is
poor and particularly when one or more of the parties fail to understand
the extent of their imperfectly shared understanding. In my talk, I will
discuss on-going work that seeks to help recognize when tacit knowledge
results in requirements that are implicit, or in context that is needed
to correctly interpret the requirements. Much of this work is concerned
with inferring the effects of tacit knowledge from up-stream
requirements information, and is based on the application of text mining
techniques to RE problems.

BIO

Pete Sawyer is Reader in Software Systems Engineering in the Computing
Department at Lancaster University. He did his PhD in Software
Engineering in 1990 under the supervision of Ian Sommerville. His
primary research interests are in the general area of Requirements
Engineering, but recent work includes ontology learning, web services
and self-adaptive systems.

This talk can be viewed at http://connect.lero.ie/petesawyer/

If you would like to attend please RSVP before January 5th to
katherine.martin at lero.ie