[Events] MACSI Seminar (Fri 6th Nov at 4pm)

Sarah.Mitchell Sarah.Mitchell at staffmail.ul.ie
Mon Nov 2 07:59:29 GMT 2009

The department of Mathematics and Statistics invites you to a seminar by
Dr. Stephen O'Sullivan (School of Physical Sciences, DCU):

---------------

Title:  Computational Modelling of Diffusion for Astrophysics, Finance,
and More

Abstract:  Following a brief summary of the ubiquity of diffusive
processes in the mathematical sciences, I will go on to describe the
challenge modelling these systems poses to  numerical modelling
techniques. In particular, with the availability of modern
supercomputers global (implicit) methods can be difficult to implement.

I will introduce a new approach to solving diffusive systems which is
local (explicit) and competitive, or even superior, to conventional
techniques in speed. Crucially, the approach is easily implemented on
complex grid geometries and distributed memory supercomputers for a wide
range of problems.

For the remainder of the talk I will discuss applications of this method
to modelling problems in star formation, option pricing, and more.

------------

The seminar will take place on Friday 6th November, at 4pm, in A2-002.

If you have any questions regarding this seminar, please direct them to
Sarah Mitchell (061 202259, sarah.mitchell at ul.ie
<mailto:sarah.mitchell at ul.ie> ).  A full list of Seminars for this
semester can be found at:

http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html
<http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html>

----

Supported by Science Foundation Ireland Mathematics Initiative funding,
MACSI - the Mathematics Applications Consortium for Science and Industry
(www.macsi.ie), centred at the University of Limerick, is dedicated to
the mathematical modelling and solution of problems which arise in
science, engineering and industry in Ireland