[Events] The Regional Writing Centre at UL is now offering a series of one

Lawrence.Cleary Lawrence.Cleary at staffmail.ul.ie
Mon Nov 2 14:45:12 GMT 2009

LAST WEEK: SESSION 4, ACADEMIC WRITING STYLE and

EDITING AND PROOFREADING STRATEGIES

The Regional Writing Centre at UL is now offering a series of one-hour
ESSAY-WRITING WORKSHOPS,
each addressing different aspects of writing essays for academic
assessment.

________________________________

The Regional Writing Centre <http://www.ul.ie/rwc>  at UL is now
offering a series of one-hour

ESSAY-WRITING WORKSHOPS,

each addressing different aspects of writing essays for academic
assessment.

Tuesdays, 14-15:00, in Weeks 5, 7, 8, and 9. Location CG053.

Wednesdays, 14-15:00 in Weeks 8, and 9. Locations CG054.

Week 5

(Week of Oct. 5th)

Session 1: Understanding the essay question. Planning and organising
your essay.

Week 7

(Week of Oct. 19th)

Session 2: Developing an effective argument. Structuring your essay.

Week 8

(Week of Oct. 26th)

Session 3: Citing and writing a reference page. Strategies to develop
writing.

Week 9

(Week of Nov. 2rd)

Session 4: Academic writing style. Editing and proofreading your essay.

Each workshop considers some of the possible ways of approaching a
number of particular aspects of the kinds of writing that most students
do at UL. We do not tell you how it must be done; we think of ways that
it could be done by increasing looking at some of the options that may
not have previously considered. Our workshops are an opportunity to
think about how to approach an essay writing assignment, what strategies
you employ, and the degree to which they lead to success.

Our goal is not to improve a particular piece of writing; it is to make
you a better writer. The Writing Centre believes that better writers
write better.

Each week, a new workshop is offered. Each workshop is offered twice
during the week, increasing opportunities for attendance. Look over the
topics covered. If there is an area that is of interest or one which is
presenting, or has presented, difficulties, consider attending.