[Events] Centre for Social Issues Research

Orla.Muldoon Orla.Muldoon at staffmail.ul.ie
Wed Nov 4 11:39:04 GMT 2009

Dear Colleagues

Recently the University ratified a Centre for Social Issues research.
The core aim of the Centre for Social Issues research is to promote
theoretically informed and methodologically sound innovative social
research that addresses contemporary social issues and informs social
policy.  The Centre aims to engage a community of scholars within UL
interested in tackling social issues and informing progressive social
policy.  We have listed our objectives as:

a To provide an interface for academics in UL to engage with voluntary,
community and statutory sectors

b to provide opportunities for academics with UL to build links with
local and national bodies so that real world social research can be
undertaken

c To provide a space where inter-discplinary research collaborations can
be built to tackle to contemporary social issues.

d To undertake applied social research that informs social policy and
that progresses social change

If you are interested in joining us in building this centre we are
undertaking an agenda setting exercise over the next six months in
collaboration with the Institute for Study of Knowledge in Society
(ISKS).  Attendees will be asked to give a 20 minute outline of their
own research interests at one of the meetings listed below. All meetings
are booked into CSG-027 (Meeting Room on the Ground Floor of CSIS
Building) from 1-2pm, Wednesdays.  The dates are:

18/11/09

16/12/09

20/01/10

17/02/10

10/03/10

28/04/10

We look forward to meeting our new collaborators!

Best regards,

Orla.

Professor Orla Muldoon

Foundation Chair & Head of Department