[Events] 'Comunities Against Cuts' Protest - Limerick today

Caroline.Clarke Caroline.Clarke at staffmail.ul.ie
Thu Nov 5 09:00:00 GMT 2009

A protest march against cutbacks organised by the Community Voluntary Sector takes place in Limerick today.

Many communities within the city like Ballinacurra Weston, Southill and Moyross who have failed to 'gain' during the Celtic tiger years appear to be amongst the first to feel the  'pain'

The not for profit community organisation I work with in Ballinacurra Weston has already suffered cutbacks in funding from the HSE to services for senior citizens and to the community creche, and a reduction in teaching hours for our adult education programmes despite massive early school leaving  some areas of the parish having as high as 80% of residents with junior cert or lower level. The local Community Development Project has been cut by 17%.

Assembling at the mechanics institute Hartstonge street at 12.00 noon marching to City Hall I invite you to join the protest. Today is an opportunity to recognise the value and vital role of the community voluntary sector in Irish society and to lend your support in opposing future cuts.

Caroline Clarke
Doctoral Researcher
Dept. Politics & Public Admin.
Office FG-193