[Events] Breaking the Barriers: Living with Disability in Lesotho, Thursday 5th Nov, Mary Immaculate College

Mags.Liddy Mags.Liddy at staffmail.ul.ie
Wed Nov 4 16:51:08 GMT 2009

Autumn Lunch Time Seminar Series

Venue: Mary Immaculate College. Room 301: Time: 1.10pm.

Thurs 5th November: 'Breaking the Barriers: Living with Disability in
Lesotho' a Photographic Exhibition & Lecture by Eileen O'Leary,
Documentary Photographer, Twinning the Kingdoms Development Education
Project, Kerry.

Light Lunch will be available -  All  are Welcome

Abstract:

 'Breaking the Barriers' explores the lives of ten people who are living
with disabilities. The exhibition illustrates the challenges which face
thousands of disabled people in the country of Lesotho. The deaf,
physically disabled, visually impaired and intellectually disabled
should enjoy the same human rights as every other Mosotho. Yet all too
often they are marginalised from society, and are denied access to
public buildings and transport, education, employment and social
services.

The exhibition also portrays the determination and dignity of people
with disabilities. Many have broken the negative stereotypes given to
them by society. They have overcome the numerous challenges against them
and are able to successfully work, earn a living and enjoy a family
life. Some have gone on to campaign for the rights of the disabled.

Eileen O'Leary - PhotoJournalist

I have been documenting Lesotho since April 2006 on behalf of Twinning
the Kingdoms charity. My goal is to inform people about the challenges
faced by Basotho <http://www.eileenoleary.com/LesothoVideo.html>  and
the progress being made on humanitarian projects as a result of the work
of support groups in Kerry and Cork. I hope that my work will encourage
others to become involved and help to create change.  Read more
<http://www.eileenoleary.com/losotho_docs.html>  about Lesotho.

I am based in Ireland and I facilitate workshops in order to pass on the
skills and a passion for photography to individuals and community
groups. Participants take part in public exhibitions and social
documentation of the areas in which they live and this work often
results in a book publication. I continue to highlight the issues in
Lesotho in both photographs and feature articles with the aim of
informing as many people as possible about what I witness there and
hope, that as a result, I encourage people to take action.