[Events] MACSI Seminar (Fri 13th Nov at 4pm)

Sarah.Mitchell Sarah.Mitchell at staffmail.ul.ie
Mon Nov 9 09:57:36 GMT 2009

The department of Mathematics and Statistics invites you to a seminar by
Prof. Chris Clark (Department of Geography, University of Sheffield,
UK):

---------------

Title:  Some puzzling patterns of glacial landforms and the last Irish
ice sheet

Abstract:  Beneath any large ice sheet, rock is eroded and moved around
as a consequence of the ice flowing across the substrate. This generates
a whole range of subglacially-produced landforms, a well known Irish
example being the drumlin. Working out how such landforms are created
has understandably been a long quest given that we cannot easily observe
them forming. In this talk I will illustrate, using satellite images and
digital elevation models, what the bed of the formerly existing Irish
Ice Sheet looks like and discuss a promising theory for subglacial
landform production. I will also use their pattern, along with other
information to reconstruct the changing dimensions of the ice sheet.

We have published the map below, which can be downloaded (at no cost)
from the Journal of Maps. Greenwood, S.L and Clark, C.D (2008).
Subglacial bedforms of the Irish Ice Sheet. Journal of Maps, v2008,
332-357.

---------------

The seminar will take place on Friday 13th November, at 4pm, in A2-002.

If you have any questions regarding this seminar, please direct them to
Sarah Mitchell (061 202259, sarah.mitchell at ul.ie
<mailto:sarah.mitchell at ul.ie> ).  A full list of Seminars for this
semester can be found at:

http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html
<http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html>

----

Supported by Science Foundation Ireland Mathematics Initiative funding,
MACSI - the Mathematics Applications Consortium for Science and Industry
(www.macsi.ie), centred at the University of Limerick, is dedicated to
the mathematical modelling and solution of problems which arise in
science, engineering and industry in Ireland