[Events] (Fri 20 Nov) Gender, Culture & Society PhD Discussion Forum: 2nd Meeting

Noreen.Giffney Noreen.Giffney at staffmail.ul.ie
Thu Nov 12 15:30:16 GMT 2009

GENDER, CULTURE & SOCIETY PHD DISCUSSION FORUM

Convened by Women's Studies @ UL

The second meeting of the Gender, Culture & Society PhD Discussion Forum
will take place on Friday 20 November from 2.30 to 4 pm in Room C1080
(Dean's Office) in the Main Building.

The theme for discussion at the second meeting will be 'Identity' and
will provide everyone with an opportunity to discuss how this relates to
their own PhD projects. As the forum is an interdisciplinary one,
members are requested the following two articles. We will use them to
focus our discussion on identity in relation to related topics, such as
subjectivity and abjection.

(1) Nigel Thrift, '"I just don't know what got into me": Where is the
subject?' in Subjectivity 22 (2008): 82-9.

(2) Imogen Taylor, 'Against Abjection' in Feminist Theory 10.1 (2009):
77-99.

Electronic copies are available from noreen.giffney at ul.ie

-------------------------

WOMEN'S STUDIES @ UL PRESENTS:

NEW GENDER, CULTURE & SOCIETY PhD DISCUSSION FORUM @ UL

The new Gender, Culture & Society PhD Discussion Forum @ UL is a space
for PhD students working on, or interested in, the study of gender and
sexuality. It is an informal, interdisciplinary space for discussing
matters of interest to its members. The agenda is set by members.

Possible meetings may include (though are not limited to):

1.	Discussions of theoretical articles or book chapters of interest
to members;
2.	Informal discussions about the process of doing PhD research on
gender and sexuality;
3.	Presentations by members of the forum on their PhD research,
followed by discussion with members of the forum;
4.	Invited speakers on topics of interest to members (for example,
in the past we have invited past PhD students to discuss the experience
of doing a PhD and their experience of the examination process);
5.	Meetings to discuss the organising of conferences or seminars by
members of the forum for academics and postgraduate students to attend
in Ireland and abroad.

The Gender, Culture & Society PhD Discussion Forum is hosted by Women's
Studies and as an interdisciplinary forum it is open to all postgraduate
students across the university who have an interest in gender and/or
sexuality.

The forum is facilitated by Dr Noreen Giffney, but the agenda is set by
members of the forum. For further details about the forum and
registration, please contact Dr Noreen Giffney: noreen.giffney at ul.ie

The Gender, Culture & Society PhD Discussion Forum runs alongside the
new Gender, Culture & Society seminar series at UL, which features
distinguished, international speakers who are among the world's foremost
experts on gender and sexuality, and critical and cultural theory. See
http://www.ul.ie/womensstudies/event-GCSseminar-2009-10.html.

Noreen Giffney, PhD (NUI)
Junior Lecturer in Women's Studies
Room F2024, Foundation Building