[Events] Talk on quantum statistics by Professor Richard Gill ( Mathematical Institute, Leiden University )

Niamh.Dooley Niamh.Dooley at staffmail.ul.ie
Tue Nov 17 09:25:09 GMT 2009

Dear All

Another treat on Friday November 20th at 2pm
Provisional Venue, Room A2002, Main Building.

Professor Richard Gill ( Mathematical Institute, Leiden University ) will give a talk entitled:

I will try to explain what quantum statistics is - quantum statistics in the sense of "statistical modelling and inference for quantum physics experiments" - by discussing some recent developments in the theory of "optimal state reconstruction". In particular, I will discuss quantum Fisher information, quantum Cramér-Rao bounds, quantum asymptotic optimality for the case when the experimenter can choose whatever measurement he likes to do, in order to learn the state of N independent "copies" of an arbitrary finite dimensional quantum system, e.g., a two level system. This is the quantum version of the problem of statistical inference for p based on observation of N iid Bernouilli variables.  I will touch on the relevance of the theory for real world experiments.

Prior knowledge of quantum physics (or for that matter, of physics in general) would likely be a disadvantage.

Reference: pp. 239-261 in Quantum Stochastics & Information: Statistics, Filtering & Control, V.P. Belavkin & M. Guta, eds.
http://arXiv.org/abs/math.ST/0512443

My home page contains links to tutorial and introductory material aimed at statisticians and probabilists
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~gill <http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/%7Egill>  <http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/%7Egill> <http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/%7Egill>

All Welcome

Best
Gilbert