[Events] MACSI Seminar today at 2pm

Sarah.Mitchell Sarah.Mitchell at staffmail.ul.ie
Wed Nov 18 08:03:56 GMT 2009

The department of Mathematics and Statistics invites you to a seminar by
Prof. Irina Markina (University of Bergen, Norway):

---------------

Title:  Optimal control versus sub-Riemannian geometry: physical and
mechanical applications

Abstract:  In this communication we present a formulation of optimal
control systems for problems with non-holonomic constraints in a
geometric way introducing the notion of the sub-Riemannian geometry. We
give some examples of sub-Riemannian manifolds related to the Lie groups
and principal bundles that appear in physics and mechanics. We discuss
advantages of the geometric methods and open problems.

---------------

The seminar will take place on Wednesday 18th November, at 2pm, in
A2-002.

If you have any questions regarding this seminar, please direct them to
Sarah Mitchell (061 202259, sarah.mitchell at ul.ie
<mailto:sarah.mitchell at ul.ie> ).  A full list of Seminars for this
semester can be found at:

http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html
<http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html>

----

Supported by Science Foundation Ireland Mathematics Initiative funding,
MACSI - the Mathematics Applications Consortium for Science and Industry
(www.macsi.ie), centred at the University of Limerick, is dedicated to
the mathematical modelling and solution of problems which arise in
science, engineering and industry in Ireland