[Events] Seminar TODAY by Richard Gill on Quantum Statistics - Charles Parson @2pm

Niamh.Dooley Niamh.Dooley at staffmail.ul.ie
Fri Nov 20 11:17:14 GMT 2009

________________________________

From: gilbert.mackenzie [mailto:gilbert.mackenzie at ul.ie]
Sent: 20 November 2009 10:37
To: Niamh.Dooley
Subject: Seminar TODAY by Richard Gill on Quantum Statistics - Charles Parson @2pm

Dear All

Another treat Today,  Friday November 20th, at 2pm - 4pm.

Professor Gill will speak for 2 hours on Quantum Statistics with a break after the first hour.
Will be of interest to many Scientists but especially Physicists  interested in the role
and scope of probability.

Charles Parson Lecture Theatre, C1063, Main Building.

Professor Richard Gill ( Mathematical Institute, Leiden University ) will give a talk entitled:

I will try to explain what quantum statistics is - quantum statistics in the sense of "statistical modelling and inference for quantum physics experiments" - by discussing some recent developments in the theory of "optimal state reconstruction". In particular, I will discuss quantum Fisher information, quantum Cramér-Rao bounds, quantum asymptotic optimality for the case when the experimenter can choose whatever measurement he likes to do, in order to learn the state of N independent "copies" of an arbitrary finite dimensional quantum system, e.g., a two level system. This is the quantum version of the problem of statistical inference for p based on observation of N iid Bernouilli variables.  I will touch on the relevance of the theory for real world experiments.

Prior knowledge of quantum physics (or for that matter, of physics in general) would likely be a disadvantage.

Reference: pp. 239-261 in Quantum Stochastics & Information: Statistics, Filtering & Control, V.P. Belavkin & M. Guta, eds.
http://arXiv.org/abs/math.ST/0512443

My home page contains links to tutorial and introductory material aimed at statisticians and probabilists
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~gill <http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/%7Egill>  <http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/%7Egill> <http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/%7Egill>

All Welcome

Best
Gilbert