[Events] Gena Heraty Haiti update Week 4

Noreen.Heraty Noreen.Heraty at staffmail.ul.ie
Fri Feb 12 10:00:31 GMT 2010

Hi Everyone.

Gena sent an email to us last-night with at attachment that she asked us to circulate to as many people as we can who have been supporting her this past month – please forward it as you think appropriate because I know you have been spreading the word and many people beyond those on this list have donated money to the Gena Heraty Haiti Fund. As there are photos on the attachment I cannot circulate it through events but I have pasted in the text below. If you would like to receive the full attachment (with photos) then let me know and I will email it directly to you. I would like to take the opportunity to update you on the money in the fund to date:

Since the earthquake, a total of €250,000 has been transferred to Gena and we are waiting for her instructions to send the next instalment. While some funds were spent on emergence medical aid in the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, the bulk of the money is being used to help re-establish and now further extend Gena’s own programmes in Haiti. These include rehabilitation therapy services to children with special needs, direct relief to families for food and shelter, therapy and supports for children and adults who have lost limbs as a result of their injuries, and assistance where possible to help relocate families back to the countryside. Before the earthquake at all, Gena’s programmes cost in the region of €500,000 per year….. there is no doubt that this figure will double at the very least this year given the scale of human need following the earthquake. She is also currently seeking a building to house some of these programmes so that is an additional cost for her to consider.

But we are making a real difference and that’s what counts at this stage. Every section of our community, locally and Nationally, has become involved in raising funds for Gena: schools, churches, workplaces, clubs and societies with activities as diverse as cake sales, bingo, rallys, race nights, spellathons, card games, music and dance events…….the list goes on but the intentions are the same – everyone wants to help and its is great to know that every cent of that money raised will go to a child or a family who needs it.

Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir

Noreen