[Events] MACSI Seminar (Fri 26th Feb at 4pm)

Sarah.Mitchell Sarah.Mitchell at staffmail.ul.ie
Mon Feb 22 08:00:19 GMT 2010

The department of Mathematics and Statistics invites you to a seminar by
Prof. Mark Ainsworth (Department of Mathematics and Statistics,
University of Strathclyde, UK):

---------------

Title:  Multiscale Modelling and Limit Load Analysis of Masonry
Structures

Abstract:  The construction of mathematical models for masonry
structures has attracted considerable attention in both the engineering
and mathematical communities, and a very wide range of models have been
proposed. We choose a very simple model whereby masonry structures are
treated a large number of elastic bodies (bricks or stone-blocks) in
unilateral, frictional contact. The challenge then becomes one of
managing the complexity arising from the large number of individual
units. We present a multiscale approach and show that our very simple
model is capable of reproducing the observed behaviour of some simple
real-life masonry structures. We then turn our attention to the problem
of determining the largest (limit) load that a given structure can
sustain. Again, this so-called limit load analysis problem has been the
subject of considerable attention. We present a new approach whereby
rigorous two-sided bounds on the limit load can be obtained by making
use of recent developments in the theory of mixed finite elements in a
non-standard fashion.

--------------

The seminar will take place on Friday 26th February, at 4pm, in A2-002.

If you have any questions regarding this seminar, please direct them to
Sarah Mitchell (061 202259, sarah.mitchell at ul.ie
<blocked::mailto:sarah.mitchell at ul.ie> ).  A full list of Seminars for
this semester can be found at:

http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html
<http://www.staff.ul.ie/mitchells/MACSI_seminars.html>

----

Supported by Science Foundation Ireland Mathematics Initiative funding,
MACSI - the Mathematics Applications Consortium for Science and Industry
(www.macsi.ul.ie), centred at the University of Limerick, is dedicated
to the mathematical modelling and solution of problems which arise in
science, engineering and industry in Ireland