[Events] Fraudulent email from bank of ireland

Patrick.Cronin Patrick.Cronin at staffmail.ul.ie
Mon Feb 22 10:23:00 GMT 2010

From: nicola.swan at boimail.com [mailto:nicola.swan at boimail.com] On Behalf Of 365Security at boimail.com
Sent: 22 February 2010 10:19
To: Patrick.Cronin
Subject: Re: FW: BE AWARE THIS IS FRAUDE FW: Confirm your phone number Bank of Ireland Bank Account

Dear Mr Cronin,

Thank you for taking the time to email us.

This e-mail was not sent by the Bank of Ireland.  It is a fraudulent e-mail issued by criminal’s intent on obtaining online banking details belonging to unsuspecting customers.

In the normal course of events these emails are sent to tens of thousands of individuals in the hope that someone will respond or open the attachment/link, thus compromising their bank account details. It should not be responded to or attachments/links opening.

After forwarding the email for our attention, it should be deleted immediately.

Bank of Ireland never requests customer information in this unsolicited manner these emails are fraudulent and are NOT from Bank of Ireland.

The email you have sent us has been passed to our Security Department for investigation and the offending link has been closed.

If you have opened the link within the fraudulent email, you may have downloaded a Trojan on to your system, and would suggest that you review your PC security to detect and remove any Trojans.

Whilst restoring the security of your system, should you wish to check for suspicious transactions on your account or to change your 365 PIN, we would suggest you that rather than using 365 Online, that you contact us by phone on our standard Banking 365 contact numbers:

- 1890 365 365 in the Republic of Ireland
- 0845 7 365 555 in Northern Ireland
- 0845 7 365 333 in Great Britain
- 00353 1 4044000 if you are outside these locations
Agent assisted hours are 8am to midnight Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm Saturday.

We would suggest that you retrain from using any online banking facilities until you are confident that any Trojan virus has been successfully removed.

Please be assured that the security of the Bank of Ireland 365 website has not been compromised in any way.

Once again, thank you for bringing this email to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Nicola Swan
Customer Support
Bank of Ireland 365 Online