[Events] International Council for Traditional Music Ireland - Annual Conference 2010

Thomas.Johnston Thomas.Johnston at staffmail.ul.ie
Mon Feb 22 19:06:03 GMT 2010

International Council for Traditional Music Ireland

ANNUAL CONFERENCE 26th – 28th February at Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick

Conference Theme:  Ensemble: Playing Together

The International Council for Traditional Music Ireland are pleased to invite you to the 5th annual conference of ICTM Ireland, to be held on 26th-28th February 2010 at Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick.  Employing the broad theme "Ensemble/Playing Together", the conference brings together nearly thirty contributors from all over Ireland and from as far afield as Japan, Singapore and the United States.

You can now become a member of ICTM Ireland and pre-register for the ICTM Ireland Conference at www.ictm.ie <http://www.ictm.ie/>

Join us on Facebook at:  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124067782703&ref=ts <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124067782703&ref=ts>

Papers range from such topics as:

•             Pub Sessions as musical learning environments
•             Sufi music and identity
•             The emic and etic experiences of band performance
•             How Irish and Senegalese musicians work together
•             The nostalgic role of traditional music in the Mexican diaspora

A special panel will focus on the dynamics of Irish Flute and Drum bands on both sides of the border, and our Keynote Speaker will be Professor Tim Cooley, (University of California, Santa Barbara), Editor of the SEM Journal Ethnomusicology and Author of key research text "Shadows in the Field" (2008).

He will be introduced by Professor Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin (Irish World Academy of Music and Dance) at our keynote event to be held at the Georgian House, Pery Square on Saturday Feb 27th. The keynote will be followed by a conference dinner at Dolan's Restaurant, which must be pre-paid at a cost of €26 per person.

We will also be joined by distinguished scholars Prof Marcello Sorce Keller (Musical Anthropology of the Mediterranean) & Dr Britta Sweers (Electric Folk: The Changing Face of English Traditional Music) who will contribute towards and review our proceedings.

Apart from the keynote event, all other proceedings will take place in the main building of Mary Immaculate College, South Circular Road, Limerick.

Please contact education at ictm.ie <mailto:education at ictm.ie>  if you would like any further information.