[Events] Skynet talks featuring Ubuntu-ie on 27/2/2010

Annette.McElligott Annette.McElligott at staffmail.ul.ie
Wed Feb 24 08:03:18 GMT 2010

Skynet talks featuring Ubuntu-ie on 27/2/2010
We are hosting a series of talks with help from Ubuntu-ie (the Irish Ubuntu team) this Saturday the 27th of February at 12pm in B1-023, the Johnathan Swift Theatre https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/Events/February-2010-Talks.
Matt Zimmerman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Zimmerman_(technologist), ex-Chief Technical Officer (CTO) of Canonical is our keynote speaker. Canonical is the company behind Ubuntu the popular Open Source operating system. In addition we will have many members of the Irish Open Source community here to talk about what they do/draws them to Open Source and its benefits, we really hope you'll come along, especially as this is the first Ubuntu event of its kind outside of Dublin.

Other events hosted by Skynet include
"CompNight" every Monday Night in B2-041 Computer Lab at 19:30
Wave Hunt (wifi treasure hunt)
Talks and Tech-Convention trips
NetHack Competition (Roguelike server based game)
Social Nights

Tutorials for First Irish Collegiate Programming Competition
As part of our CompNights, we're interested in running programming challenges/tutorials for the recently announced FICPC (Programming Competition in April). We'd be basing the challenges off examples from TopCoder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TopCoder & GoogleCodeJam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Code_Jam and running them weekly from next week.  We'll be able to cover C/C++ and Java and also give additional help toother projects. If people/teams are interested, please e-mail us at events at skynet.ie mailto:events at skynet.ie or come along to our Meetup nights on Mondays.

Members of Skynet get access to
Storage space, accessible from all computers in and outside of UL.
Personal website/webspace (with MySQL if desired)
Community chat (IRC)
e-mail - with excellent spam controls and plenty of space
e-mail addresses of the form firstname.lastname at skynet.ie (on request)

David Mcilwee, Computer Society President