[Events] The Disabiity Movement in Ireland- Needs You Help

Gabriella.Hanrahan Gabriella.Hanrahan at staffmail.ul.ie
Wed Feb 24 14:58:10 GMT 2010

APOLOGIES FOLKS - THE LINK DID NOT WORK ON THE PREVIOUS EMAIL -

________________________________

WE NEED YOUR HELP

Below is a petition that Inclusion Ireland are running until March 30th
- the 3rd anniversary of Ireland signing the UN Convention on the rights
of people with disabilities.  Ireland has NOT yet ratified the
convention.

One of the largest barriers is Ireland's Ward of Court system - stemming
from the 1871 Luncay Act. Besides this piece of legisaltion - Ireland
has no capacity legislation which prohibits the development of human
rights framework / social model of disability.   In September 2008 a
scheme was introduced by Dermot Ahern - but to date no bill let alone an
act.

The Irish Disability Movement are asking you to support our ongoing
campaign for the development of a society that treats disabled people as
equals.

Please sign our petition by clicking on the link below and/or forward
this petition to anyone who may be interested in our issues, the more
signature the stronger the message.    THANKS

www.inclusionireland.ie/signup_easytoread.asp